I am a physicist by profession (post graduation with distinction university of Delhi, Doctorate Mumbai University). My work spanned specific area of laser science and technology. After more than three decades of contributions, superannuated from Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai, India. During this period I made some pioneering contributions to the field in which I worked. Worked in several international laboratories on varied disciplines of both basic and applied interest. Within India I worked for several laser applications of strategic interest. I also contributed to useful dissemination of knowledgebase in my working field by organizing several national and international conferences, short courses, schools for doctoral and postdoctoral young students. I have mentored and guided several students for their M.Sc, M.Tech and Ph.D under auspices of Mumbai University and Homi Bhabha National Institute of Education. I had been a Professor Of Physical Sciences at Homi Bhabha National Institute for Education. Participant in advisory capacity in several councils of Department of Atomic Energy and Department of Science & Technology in India. I have given several invited talks in various National and International Conferences. I have more than hundred publications, about half of them in international journals with good citations record.
Presently, post superannuation, I am keen to apply scientific and technological developments in my field for manufacturing applications. My main interest there being those related to Environment, Renewable Energy and Advanced Manufacturing. I have authored a book on “Scientific Research and Manufacturing : Potential India Growth Story” to be published in near future.
- Graduation and post graduation in Physics from University of Delhi (1974)
- Joined BARC Training School in 1974
- Joined BARC in 1975
- Started career in then nascent area of Laser Science, Technology and Applications
- Ph.D (Physics) in Laser Spectroscopy Applications area from University of Mumbai (1985)
- Guest Scientist in University of Mainz, Germany (1988-1990)
- Pioneering contributions to development of Ultra-trace analysis of fission products and actinides and generation of radioactive ion beams
- Applied Laser Spectroscopy for several applications of strategic interest, developing several techniques and instrumentation in the process.
- Participant Pioneered development of techniques for Laser Isotope separation in the country.
- Responsible for steering and organizing National Laser Symposium (DAE) for several years.
- Director of School on Laser Spectroscopy and Applications in Science & Technology (2008) sponsored by Department of Science & Technology
- Member Program Advisory Committee (Department of Science & Technology) on ‘Lasers, Optics and Atomic& Molecular Physics’ of Department of Science & Technology, Delhi (2005-2012).
- Professor of Physics/Engineering in Homi Bhabha National Institute of Education.
- Ph.D Guide in Physics for University of Mumbai, guiding several students.
- Life members of several professional bodies covering Lasers, Physics, Mass Spectrometery.
- Superannuated as Outstanding Scientist from BARC in September 2012.
- Distinguished invited speaker in several national and international institutes/universities and examiners of several Ph.D thesis.
- Initiated several collaborative ventures with universities/institutes for sake of applications of National interest
- Few dozen international publications, more than hundred in national and international conferences, several book chapters, several departmental (BARC) reports (unpublished) .
Current Interests :
Environmental monitoring and control, Quality Monitoring & Control using latest techniques, Laser applications for industrial processes, Advanced Manufacturing and applications of 3D printing techniques (metals and non-metals)
Promotion of collaboration between universities, industries and other research labs and fresh startups